Position Title: Assistant Manager of Visitor Programs
Department: Visitor Programs & Interpretation
Direct Report: Manager of Visitor Programs and Interpretation
The Assistant Manager of Visitor Programs will contribute to the success of the Mississippi Aquarium by developing quality interpretation and visitor programs. This position will work closely with theManager of Visitor Programs and Interpretation in supervising and scheduling staff and volunteers in daily interpretive and visitor program operations. This person is expected to engage with staff and guests daily in the aquarium, as well as periodically conduct presentations, tours, birthday parties, and other programs. Additionally, the Assistant Manager will work alongside other members of the Guest Experience Team and other departments at the Mississippi Aquarium, including Education and Content Development, Volunteers, and Outreach.
● Consistently looking forward, focused, ready to listen
● A heart for service, always willing to provide support to fellow team members
● Must be able to communicate needs and issues effectively
● Highly organized self-starter maintaining high standards
● Have an awareness and interest in the conservation of aquatic environments and their inhabitants
● Innovative, creative thinker; not afraid to propose something new and inspire others to do the same
● Proactive in finding solutions, productive and efficient
1. Minimum of 2-3 years as an interpreter or educator in an informal education setting
2. Minimum 4-year bachelor’s degree
3. Strong verbal and writing skills
4. Knowledge of current practices in conservation, scientific research, and environmental education practices.
5. Demonstrated public speaking skills and comfortable around small and large groups of different ages.
6. Experience in proper animal handling procedures and understanding of operant conditioning techniques.
7. 2 years’ experience in a supervisory role
8. Certification with theNational Association for Interpretation
9. Proficiency with Microsoft OfficeProducts
1. Assist the Manager of VisitorPrograms and Interpretation with organizing, developing, and planning onsite interpretation and visitor service programs geared towards guests of all ages.
2. Conducts regular training opportunities for staff, volunteers, and interns in interpreting MSAQ exhibits and programs.
3. Ensure a consistent quality of customer service that exceeds MSAQ’s standard of excellence.
3. Support and supervise all daily onsite interpretation and guest experience staff and volunteers.
4. Support MSAQ’s conservation and research projects and empower a love for learning for all team members and guests.
5. Assist with creating and managing daily presentation and interpretive schedules; coordinate with theAnimal Care team with regards to animal encounters and Sea Trek.
6. Resolve staff and guest disputes with professionalism and empathy.
7. Help maintain the overall appearance of exhibits and interpretive content and supplies.
8. Follow all MississippiAquarium policies and procedures as well as represent the Mississippi Aquarium in a professional manner in and outside of the aquarium.
9. Work in a collaborative team environment, cross-train and support all other Guest Experience areas with projects, planning, and training.
10. Fill in and support daily operational needs when necessary, including tours, presentations, encounters, education programs, and interpreting exhibits like the touch tank, aviary, dolphins, river otter and tunnel.
11. Work weekends, evenings, and overnights when necessary.
1.Safety & Security - All Team Members are required to adhere to all Mississippi Aquarium safety and security standards.
2.Attendance& Appearance - To maximize the guest’s experience, all Team Members are required to adhere to Mississippi Aquarium standard operating procedures regarding attendance and dress code policies as it relates to individual job functionality.
3.Sales& Guest Services - Our forward-thinking business model requires listening and understanding the needs of our guests both internal and external. To that end, we must always be focused on the guest experience which is the key driver for return guest visitation and increased sales.
4.TeamPartnership - All Team Members are focused on supporting each other to complete the guest experience. Therefore, supporting, facilitating and participating in activities that promote team effectiveness is vital to our Organization.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.